Blue Room

| LNHS Home | House Main Page | First Floor | Second Floor | Third Floor | Exterior and Grounds |


The Blue Room along with the front room on the east side (Alice's Study) of the second floor served as George Washington's private chambers during his nine-month stay (July 1775-April 1776) in the Vassall House.

This room served as Henry Longfellow's bedroom when he boarded here in Mrs. Craigie's house (1837-1841) and continued to be Henry Longfellow and Fanny Appleton Longfellow's bedroom until 1844. The room then served as the nursery for the young Longfellow children.

From the 1850s through the late 1890s, this was Alice Longfellow's bedroom. She then moved her bedroom to the front room. After her death in 1928 it served as the guest room for visiting family members and friends until 1972.

Blue room east wall
Blue Room
 

Continue tour

Continue Tour


© 2004 Longfellow National Historic Site