bullet Historic Use
Portraits of Washingtons
Sharples portraits of the Washingtons hang above the door to the front hall

This room was used by George Washington as his dining room and meeting room, and later by Henry Longfellow as his study.

From July 1775 to April 1776 Washington held conferences in this room with his generals: Israel Putnam, Artemas Ward, Charles Lee, Nathaniel Greene, and others.

In October 1775 he received a committee from the Congress headed by Benjamin Franklin. He welcomed both Quakers and Indians here. In this room, Washington decided that the best solution for the American colonies was to separate from England. Three months after he left Cambridge, the Declaration of Independence was signed. The idea of the United States as a separate country was born in this room.

The Vassall family used this room as their dining room. When the Longfellows were first married this room was their dining room and parlor until 1845.
View of study Longfellow's study

From 1846 on, this room was used by Longfellow as his study. Almost everything has been left here as it was at the time of his death in 1882.

Fanny Longfellow often joined him to write in her journal or read to him, and the family enjoyed gathering here as well.

He wrote most of his poems here including "The Children's Hour"  in which he describes how his three daughters, “grave Alice, and laughing Allegra, and Edith with golden hair,” would enter this room by the “three doors left unguarded” and climb over the arms and back of his chair.

The old-fashioned folding desk on which the poet wrote is opened on the table.

Lap desk
Longfellow's folding desk

Back to Study
© 2004 Longfellow National Historic Site