bullet Architecture


1759 floor plan
Original floor plan of 1759 house

The current dining room had been the original kitchen when the House was built in 1759. The small rooms on either side of the fireplace had probably once been open alcoves of the kitchen area.  
Fireplace wall South wall

The paneling now in the dining room dates to the 1790s when Andrew Craigie converted the early kitchen to a dining room.

The black stealite (soapstone) mantel dates to the Greek Revival period and was probably installed during Henry Longfellow's residency.

Soapstone fireplace
Fireplace

North wall of dining room
North wall
Originally the north wall where the sideboard is was the back wall of the House, and had two windows. Andrew Craigie added the Blue Entry behind this room and removed the windows. dentil molding
Dentil molding

Back to Dining Room
© 2004 Longfellow National Historic Site