grey bullet Historic Use



Blue Entry, east end 1917

This elegant long, blue hallway was originally undivided and served as a carriage entrance from the driveway into the home. It was divided in the 1850s by Henry Longfellow.

This was always a formal hallway used as an entrance and a passage between rooms.

Servants bringing meals from the kitchen to the dining room used this passageway as did guests and family members arriving or departing by way of the door to the west porch.

West end 1941 Blue Entry, west end 1941

The Longfellow family displayed sculpture and other art here.  

Family members often found this hallway a convenient location for private discussion.


Back to Blue Entry
© 2004 Longfellow National Historic Site