grey4 Longfellow Family Architects


William Pitt Preble Longfellow (1836-1913)

He was a nephew of Henry Longfellow and an architectural historian, an author of books on design and European architectural history, and the first editor of The American Architect and Building News (1876).  He wrote the Cyclopedia of Architecture in Italy, Greece and the Levant (1891) which became a standard text. He served as director and lecturer for the School of Drawing and Painting at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and also served as a museum trustee. He taught architectural design at MIT and designed several houses in Cambridge on Sparks and Appleton Streets.

Alexander Wadsworth Longfellow Jr.  (1854-1934)  

Another of Henry Longfellow's nephews, he graduated from Harvard and attended MIT where he studied with its founder, architect William Robert Ware. He served as a draftsman for H.H. Richardson, and later established the firm of Longfellow, Alden, and Harlow in 1886. He designed Cambridge City Hall, the Brattle Theatre, and Agassiz and Bertram Halls at Radcliffe. He also designed the elevated stations of the MBTA's orange line, at one time considered the "architectural pride" of the city of Boston.

Richard Henry Dana IV (1879-1933)

Henry Longfellow's grandson and the son of Edith and Richard Henry Dana III. He worked in the Colonial Revival style. He designed the Yale campus in China and restored homes in Litchfield, CT. He served on the editorial committee for the book Great Georgian Houses of America published in 1933.

Allston Dana (1884-1952)

Allston Dana, the son of Edith Longfellow Dana and Richard Henry Dana III, and the grandsonof Henry W. Longfellow, graduated from Harvard College in 1906 and from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1908. Dana went on to become an Engineer of Design for the Port of New York Authority. He played a major role in building some of the great bridges of New York City between 1928 and 1931: Goethals Bridge, the Outerbridge Crossing, and the Bayonne Bridge.


Back

© 2004 Longfellow National Historic Site